I decided to write about this not because I’m an expert at all, but from everything I’ve been reading lately via books and the fabulous interwebs, I think it’s something we could all get info from, and maybe incorporate into our healthy new lifestyles.
Green Smoothies aren’t just another healthy and yummy concoction of fruits and yogurt, etc. These smoothies also have odd foods and/or vegetables like kale, collard greens, and broccoli, to name a few. Think of the “Naked” brand shakes you see in your local grocery store, or even Wawa/Royal Farms. The “Green Machine” shake is super yummy, and is also 1 of the many green shake recipes you can follow. If you turn the Green Machine bottle on the backside and see whats actually in it, you’d be surprised at how much is in it, even the odd vegetables. And for the most part, you don’t see ANY bits and pieces of said veggies left unblended, which means a super ultra mega awesome blender was used. My boyfriend & I usually buy the Green Machine on our way to climb for extra natural energy. Keep in mind: 1 bottle is 2 servings, so we share 1 bottle in order to keep the calorie intake in check.
Now for the hopefully non boring part; the health benefits. Here’s a list of benefits from these Green Things:
– Natural Weight Loss: Drinking a green smoothie is the best thing you can do to lose weight. Green smoothies provide the nutrition, vitamins, minerals, healthy carbohydrates, fiber and low fat whole food that you need to lose weight quickly, safely and effectively without starving yourself. YAY we heard the magic words! Hopefully you’ll want to keep reading now 🙂
– Increased Consumption of Fruits and Vegetables (GREENS!): The American Cancer Society recommends that we eat 5-9 servings of fruits and vegetables each day to prevent cancer and other diseases. Green smoothies are a quick and convenient way to get your vegetables and dark, leafy greens without tasting them. The fruit masks the flavor so even though all you taste is pineapple, mango, banana or strawberry, you are consuming a healthy dose of spinach, carrots, tomatoes and any other vegetable that you put in.
– Easy Digestion and Nutrient Assimilation, and Antioxidants: Blending fruits and vegetables together breaks down the cells of plants and improves digestibility. Your blender unlocks the nutrients and maximizes their delivery to your body more than chewing any salad could. Smoothies are quicker and more convenient than preparing and thoroughly chewing a salad, especially when you are on the go. Green smoothies are high in antioxidants and phytonutrients. Not only are you giving your body the best defenses for disease, but you are ingesting a variety of natural substances that are essential for optimum health and fitness.
– Increased Energy, Mental Clarity, and Focus: Smoothies provide a powerful boost of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and other nutrients without bogging down your digestive system. Since you are eating natural, whole foods in the most optimum form for your digestion and nutrient absorption, you will have more energy to get things done and enjoy your day. With a healthier diet comes greater mental clarity and focus. Green smoothies have replaced my morning coffee ritual.
– Increased Fiber Intake: Unlike fruit juice or using a juicer, green smoothies use the whole fruit and vegetable so that you get all the fiber and nutrition. Fiber is essential for good colon health and it keeps your bowels in working order.
– Clearer Skin: Clearer, radiant skin is an often-reported benefit to eating healthier. Smoothies are high in fiber and allow your body to eliminate toxins the right way instead of through your skin.
– Alkalizing: Fruits and vegetables are alkaline foods and many natural health experts claim that consuming these foods helps maintain a proper alkaline balance in the body. Acid-producing foods (as well as the over-consumption of protein) can raise the PH level of the blood, which can cause your body to leach calcium from your bones to neutralize it, thus increasing your risk for osteoporosis.
Ok, boring but informative part is over. Below is a few Green-ish recipes I found that I’m definitely going to try. I’ll probably start off with 1 recipe for a few weeks or so, to see how it goes and if I like the tastes. Plus, I don’t want some of the ingredients to go bad if I mix it up and use different recipes. 90% of the ingredients are super easy to find in grocery stores as well, so no excuses on not being able to find something. You might need to make a trip to a natural market pending on the recipe. I googled “Green Smoothies,” and just picked the websites that were the most recent, or appealing to me. Enjoy and hopefully you’ll reap some of these benefits as well, if not all!
Last but not least, here is a website that has common questions about consumption of these green smoothies, as well as other information I did not post in this blog. Very informative. Update coming soon on how these shakes taste and make me feel. Groovy Green Smoothie up first!